There’s a medicine that, in half a century of use, has been linked to a grand total of zero deaths or serious complications. It’s safer than aspirin. Physicians willingly admit that their advice is not needed for it to be taken correctly. The largest organization of pediatricians in the nation is urging its members to pre-write prescriptions for patients who may need it, because it’s so safe they believe everyone should have access without visiting a doctor.
This medicine is often desperately needed. It must be taken within a specific 120 hour period in order to be effective. It prevents a condition that can be devastating to the people it affects, especially young people, who are more likely to develop depression, drop out of school, and even die. Furthermore, if young people can’t get this medicine when they need it, they are more likely to spend their lives in poverty, never marry, and have their kids end up in jail.
So why has the supposedly progressive Obama administration repeatedly spoken out against making this medicine available over-the-counter to young people, even after a federal judge ruled that girls under seventeen must be given access to this medicine? Why would the president go against all scientific evidence and say that the medicine “could be dangerous if misused”?
Because the medicine is emergency contraception, the medical condition it treats is pregnancy, and Americans are terrified of teenage girls being in control of their own sexuality."
Anya Josephs, Girls of All Ages Need Access to Emergency Contraception (via sparkamovement)
Anya you’re always on-point, and I keep agreeing with you before I realize it’s you, and wow you’re so Tumblr-famous.(via unevenlygrown)
- Societal expectations of masculinity
- Societal expectations to provide for women
- No long term reversible male birth control
- Men who are raped are more likely to remain silent and be dismissed or outright laughed at
- Unfair treatment in child custody battles
- No support for male victims of domestic abuse
Not men’s issues
- The friend zone
- Women not dating you
- “Fucking femnazis”
all of the “men’s issues” are due to misogyny though
- Societal expectations of masculinity: because femininity is seen as weak and men don’t want to be seen as weak/femme/womanly
- Societal expectations to provide for women: because women aren’t seen as able to provide for themselves / women are supposed to be taking care of the homes
- No long term reversible male birth control: i mean like people are working on it (x) but it’s harder to do because of how typical maab bodies work??? but like maab people can just use condoms so. also the focus has been a lot more on birth control for “women” (i.e. faab women) because it’s ~supposed to be~ the woman’s job to protect herself if she doesn’t want to get pregnant
- Men who are raped are more likely to remain silent and be dismissed or outright laughed at: because rape is seen as a “woman’s issue” and society makes it shameful to be feminised by experiencing things that are supposed to be women’s issues and men are “supposed to be” “strong enough” because women aren’t and to be weak is to be feminine according to society
- Unfair treatment in child custody battles: because childcare is seen as the woman’s role because sexist expectations of domesticity
- Alimony: see above point about men providing for the family
- No support for male victims of domestic abuse: see above point about rape (men are supposed to be strong / women are weak and victims)
BASICALLY FEMINISM WILL MAKE THINGS BETTER THAN EVERYONE
DISMANTLING THE PATRIARCHY AND ALL RELATED INSTITUTIONS WILL MAKE THINGS BETTER FOR EVERYONE
"Princeton University psychologist Susan Fiske took brain scans of heterosexual men while they looked at sexualised images of women wearing bikinis. She found that the part of their brains that became activated was pre-motor - areas that usually light up when people anticipate using tools. The men were reacting to the images as if the women were objects they were going to act on. Particularly shocking was the discovery that the participants who scored highest on tests of hostile sexism were those most likely to deactivate the part of the brain that considers other people’s intentions (the medial prefrontal cortex) while looking at the pictures. These men were responding to images of the women as if they were non-human."
if breasts, butts and legs are so distracting to men, to the point they cant function
why arent they that distracting to lesbians
and at that point
why isnt the penis bulge and legs not distracting enough to gay men to warrant men being put under the same dress codes
Angelina Jolie had a double mastectomy, in case you hadn’t heard. How dare she remove those ticking time bombs from her chest, amiright? Like, hasn’t she learned by now that her body is public domain and we all get to vote on what she does with it? Sheesh, how selfish can ya get.
"In the 101 top-grossing family films…from 1990 to 2004, of the over 4,000 characters in these films, 75% overall were male, 83% of characters in crowds were male, 83% of narrators were male, and 72% of speaking were male. When the American Psychological Association commented on this research, they said, ‘This gross under-representation of women or girls in films with family-friendly content reflects a missed opportunity to present a broad spectrum of girls and women in roles that are non-sexualised.’"
“I think a lot about what makes a strong female character. You know, movies and TV shows, these things have influence, my own website. So I think the question of “What makes a strong female character?”, often goes misinterpreted. And instead we get these two-dimensional superwomen, who maybe have one quality that’s played up a lot. Like, you know, a Catwoman type, or she plays her sexuality up a lot and it’s seen as power. But they’re not strong characters who happen to be female, they’re completely flat and they’re basically cardboard characters.
The problem with this is that then people expect women to be that easy to understand, and women are mad at themselves for not being that simple. When in actuality, women are complicated. Women are multifaceted. Not because women are crazy, but because people are crazy. And women happen to be people!”
-Tavi Gevinson for TEDTalks [x]
men at large feel like they are being robbed of something when an attractive woman with a 90% chance of developing breast cancer gets a double mastectomy
what better illustration of the male sense of sexual entitlement do you need
So today Angelina Jolie had double mastectomy, which is the removal of one’s breasts, to prevent Breast cancer. So instead of praising Angelina on her bravery, men on Twitter decided to ridicule her, even calling her stupid for removing her breasts. For those of you on Tumblr that are attacking Feminists about being delusional about sexism against women and misogyny here’s your fucking proof that sexism and misogyny exists.
oh my fucking god these men can die in a fire